Financial Assistance

What kind of help is available?

If you’re in a position where you need financial help – whether it’s mounting debt or emergency food and housing – there is assistance available.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by money or personal issues, it can be hard to know where to turn. You don’t have to go it alone.

In an emergency, there are services to help you with food, housing, and bills, as well as emotional support.

Ask Izzy provides a directory of 370,000 support services throughout Australia, helping you to locate one nearby.

No Interest Loans (NILs)

Borrow up to $2000 for essential goods and services with no fees, no interest, ever.  You pay back only what you borrow and nothing more.

Visit Good Shepherd

Food and bills

Charities and community organisations have emergency relief services to help you with things like:

  • food vouchers or food parcels
  • transport vouchers
  • chemist vouchers
  • clothing or furniture
  • part-payment of utility bills
  • help with back-to-school costs

Contact your nearest:

For a full list of emergency relief services, see the Department of Social Service Grant Services Directory or Ask Izzy.

Government help


Centrelink provides a payment to people eligible for income support.

Call 132 850, 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.

Crisis Payment

You may be able to get a payment if you’re in severe financial hardship following extreme circumstances. After a natural disaster, for example.

The Services Australia website has more information about crisis payments.

Advance Payment

If you already get a Centrelink payment, you may be able to get an advance payment. This is money you would be getting from your existing payment but it’s paid early. It’s not an extra payment.

Emotional help

If you’re going through a personal crisis, help is available. Contact one of these free and confidential services.

Crisis support

Tel: 13 11 14
24 hours
Lifeline’s crisis support online chat

Depression or anxiety

Beyond Blue
Tel: 1300 22 46 36
24 hours
Beyond Blue’s web chat (3pm to 12am)

Sexual assault, domestic or family violence counselling

Tel: 1800 737 732
24 hours

Alcohol or other drug use

Family Drug Support Australia
Tel: 1300 368 186
24 hours


Gambling Help Online
National Gambling Helpline
Tel: 1800 858 858
24 hours

Emergency housing

If you’re homeless or in a housing crisis, your state or territory government can help.

They provide temporary emergency accommodation in places like low-cost hotels, motels and caravan parks. They may also be able to help with a rental bond.

Contact your state or territory housing department to see if you’re eligible.


Housing and Community Services ACT OneLink
Tel: 1800 176 468
8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
12:15pm to 3:30pm, Saturday and Sunday


Tel: 1800 825 955
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
24 hours on weekends and public holidays


Homeless Hotline
Tel: 1800 474 753
24 hours


Entrypoint Perth
Tel: 1800 124 684 (includes regional WA)
9am to 7pm, Monday to Friday
9am to 5pm, Saturday
Closed public holidays

Legal assistance

For any super claim legal assistance contact us. For any other types of legal assistance, the Law Society Referrals Services are free to contact and will provide you with contact details of lawyers and/or firms who practice in the area of law you are seeking.


Law Society of NSW Contact Number: (02) 9926 0300 Email: For an Online Referral Request, click here.


ACT Law Society Website


Law Institute of Victoria Contact Number: (03) 9607 9550 Email: Website


QLD Law Society Contact Number: 1300 367 757 Email: Website


Law Society of WA Contact Number: (08) 9324 8699 Website


The Law Society of SA Contact Number: (08) 8229 0200 Email: Website


Law Society of Tasmania Website


Law Society NT Website